Sunday, July 1, 2012

Just Do It Already

So I mentioned that I find challenges... challenging. The first #photoaday challenge is a self portrait. That should be easy, right? Take the phone. Point it at the mirror. Smile. Click. Save. Upload. Title. Hash tag. Done. Again today I ask the question, "Have you met me?" Even metaphorically? I have a tendency to over think things. If I can find a way to make something more complicated there is a fairly good chance that I will. So shooting a self portrait has had my head spinning since I first saw it.

Should I follow the crowd? Should I shoot a pair of plaid Sperrys and a tie dyed shirt to represent the crazy combination of Preppy and hippie that has always been me? Absolutely not! That would be a visual assault! (For the record, while on the inside I may be a combination of tie dye and plaid, I would never actually mix them on the outside! That would just be painful for everyone!)

Should I shoot my family cookbook and my iron skillets to represent my appreciation for sharing great food and family? Maybe, but there is so much more to me than that.

Should I just shoot in the mirror? Boring! Ugh! I suck at this!

So I finally decided to just do it, already. Pick up the camera, aim, and shoot that which has always so fascinated me. I took a photo of my eye. Eyes are the first things I notice on other people and animals. I have been sketching them for years. They have been called "the windows to the soul." How better to represent myself? With my self portrait, I invite you to look through my window.

2 comments: