Wednesday, July 4, 2012

And So It Begins

Summer is here, the time when my mind turns to thoughts of simpler things like crisp, white linen sheets drying on the line, fresh flowers in a milk jug on the kitchen table, juicy tomato sandwiches fresh off the vine, and The Great Summer Organization Challenge. Yes, you read that correctly: The Great Summer Organization Challenge. I need the summer to deal with all of the stacks of "important" stuff (to be read, "Mostly useless crap,") that I have allowed to accumulate over the rest of the year.

I tend to be a fairly well organized person. I have a friend who says that I dream in colored Rubbermaid containers. While this is clearly hyperbole, there is a part of me that does hold on to a daydream of a completely color-coded, place-for-everything, HGTV kind of life, but who can actually live like that? Not I, at least, not yet! A girl has got to have hope, right?

Our house is lovingly referred to by our friends and family as The Clubhouse, as it is most often the site at which we congregate, whether for celebration or just a night in together. This being the case, it is fairly important that The Clubhouse stays relatively presentable in all of the common areas. I am happy to say that, with help, I am usually able to make that happen, more or less. That having been said, we now have an entire room, let's call it the office, with a door that must remain closed at all times.

What I have discovered is that I am too overwhelmed by the magnitude of that room to start there. Baby steps are the way to go.

I started with the master bathroom. My method is to dump everything on my bed so that I have to finish in order to go to bed that night. It may seem extreme, but it works. I separated everything into stuff to toss, stuff to donate, and stuff to organize and put away. The first cabinet was a breeze! I thought, "I'll have this done in no time!" Then I hit the medicine cabinet, next all of the cosmetics and brushes. After thirty years in theatre, I have quite an abundance of make-up, but seriously, I think I found twenty-five compacts! Ten of them were empty waiting to be taken "Back to M-A-C" for recycling, but geeze! No one needs that much foundation!

Day One took about six hours. Three bags were filled for donation, two were filled with trash, everything was cleaned and organized and put back into a clearly defined home, I had my photo for the day's #photoadaychallenge #busy, and my bed was clear so that I could rest for Day Two.



No comments:

Post a Comment