Tuesday, July 24, 2012

On the magic of salon therapy

What is it about a visit to the beauty salon that changes everything? Is it just me? Seriously, is it?

I can be in the worst mood, ready to knock someone into the middle of next week, but the minute I cross the threshold of the salon, whether it is to see my brilliant hairdresser, Mags, at her own salon or to see one of the nail techs at my neighborhood pedi place, all of stress and irritation is out the door. It is crazy! How does that happen? What is in those chemicals?

Mags and I have been friends for over ten years now. We were friends first. We met doing a play together, she rescued me from a hairstyling disaster, and the rest is history. Since we have been friends for so long, it makes sense that I should feel great just having the opportunity to go in and hang out with her. Plus, she is a rock star at her job, so I always leave looking so much better than when I arrived! Conversely, I am challenged to understand more than a few words from the miracle workers at the nail salon and yet I still feel a rush of euphoria every time I walk through their door.

What is it that makes those hours so relaxing, refreshing, recuperative, rewarding, REQUIRED to keep me from wanting to shake people senseless? Perhaps it is the fact that I am an absolute captive for those precious few hours that my head is covered in chemicals, or my feet are soaking. I can't go anywhere or do anything else (except apparently blog) so I have no choice but to relax, read trashy magazines that I never get too see, and enjoy! Bliss!

Whatever it is, I know that I will do anything it takes to make sure I can continue to relish these visits. I am really doing it for the rest of the world, if you think about it. I'm a giver like that. After all, it these infrequent visits that allow me to continue to be the smiling, pleasant, patient person you see here. Isn't that better than the alternative? I think so, too!

4 comments:

  1. She does great work!
    (Seriously,one of the best mohawks ever!)

    Byt the way, you should get the city to pay for the salon trips. The amount you're saving law enforcement from even one shaken person event is worth it.
    It's like a public service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, Guap! If only our local politicians would see things the way you do! Really, people just need to see the benefits of keeping me happy!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My stylist is amazing too...she works miracles :)

    ReplyDelete